Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I remember when my Christmas presents were toys

This year for Christmas, my brother and I decided to buy each other whole pork legs. These legs, with a bit of patience, a little cajoling, and a ton of salt would undergo a metamorphosis more beautiful than caterpillar to butterfly: the change from pork leg to prosciutto.
The process is surprisingly simple. First, the legs are deboned, sewn back up, and put into a salt vat for about a month. After that month, the leg, now significantly lighter due to water loss, is covered in pepper and pork fat and hung to air dry for between six and nine months. While the process itself is easy, the steps themselves must be done very carefully to protect your meat investment. Yes, your meat investment.

First, the pork needs to be of the best quality. Second, the process of butchering needs to be done carefully to avoid contamination. As the pictures show, my brother and I were extremely careful. (Ha) The salt curing needs to be properly timed, and, though we have yet to meet this stage, I'm guessing what the meat comes in contact with while air drying will make a big difference. Certainly, differences in temperature and humidity can play an enormous role in the quality of the final product.

The following are pictures from the butchering process to the beginning of the salt cure.
1. The pork legs upon arrival from Old Town Butchers in Xenia. 2. As you can see, we bought out a whole supply of salt from the store. I think we bought about 35 pounds. 3. Sewing back up the final product. 4. Weighted and in the salt cure.

1 comment:

Matt said...

My ham is hanging. How's yours?